Wednesday, January 30, 2008

January 2008 Wrap Up

My party was a lot of fun. There was a great mix of people and everyone (at least claimed to have) had a good time. In fact, people stayed so long that my "brunch" lasted until 8 p.m. I, of course, had plenty of food. Actually, there was too much for all the surface areas of my kitchen and living room, so I'm really glad that I didn't make my Metrocard cake this year (so don't worry that you missed it, HappySatch). Plus, I was so busy with cleaning and getting things ready that I really didn't have the time. The disheartening thing about parties, if you have them in your abode, is that you spend all this time cleaning and by the time it's done, you have to start cleaning all over again. It's madness. Not so mad that I won't do the same thing next year, but madness all the same.

Speaking of parties, I went to a surprise birthday party for my brother-in-law Bill. Discerning readers will correctly suppose that this took place in California. It was a surprise party that the Rivster has been planning for months . . . and Bill was really surprised. He didn't suspect a thing. And no one was expecting me there, so it was an even better surprise.

The party consisted of a scavenger hunt all over Downtown Disney followed by dessert at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, where I had a very yummy fruit cobbler without the ice cream. I like ice cream, but they only had butter pecan and vanilla on the menu and I don't like either of those ice creams. By the way, I acknowledge that my discussion of ice creams here is extraneous and if this were a story I was writing, I would definitely edit it out. Our team, William's Warriors, did not win first place, but we had enough fun to make up for that glaring miscarriage of justice. We had to make/find/do crazy things and take instant pictures of our team doing crazy things and it was just great. Thumbs up. It was also great seeing the family I saw, even if it was for a very brief period of time.

Now, since my party, and notwithstanding my trip to California, I have been concentrating on finding a place to live, which I think I mentioned earlier. The rent is going up at my place and I don't want to live above my means, so I am being fiscally responsible and looking for things that are much less expensive. This, looking for places, is a nerve-wracking process. There are a lot of variables that need to be considered. Is the room I would be living in bigger than 7'x10'? That answer needs to be yes. Is there a mice or roach problem? That answer needs to not be yes. Is my potential roommate a smoker? Will she be smoking outside the house? Is she a smoker of anything else? Is she female? Is there a cat? (Actually that can be yes or no depending on the cat.) Are there windows in the room? Can I open up the bathroom door without hitting the toilet, sink, or tub? (Actually, out of the four places I have lived in New York the answer to that was yes only once). Does the apartment have a kitchen? Does my room have a door. (Yes, that is an actual question that sometimes has to be asked.) Am I allowed to have friends over? That sounds like a weird one, too, but some people have very specific rules. Does she have to go through my room to get to her room? Does she have a boyfriend that is going to be over all the time? And I have about half an hour to assess if I think I can live with this person or people. I have a great roommate right now, so it's going to be a lot to live up to.

Part of me thinks that I should at least try to get a place by myself, but there are two problems with that. First, I would probably have to get a studio, and I would really like to have a living room. Second, I like having a roommate. I don't like having a roommate all the time, but it's comforting to know that if I fall in the tub and knock myself unconscious, someone will be there knocking on the door, needing to use the bathroom probably sometime in the next twelve hours. I know that the people at work would notice if I just didn't show up, but it would take some time before they did anything about it.

So I'm off to an open house. This one is actually in Manhattan, but the posting didn't say if it was a man or a woman (I hate that), so I will see. Usually when they don't put that, it is a man, but not always. After that it is over to the West Side Giraffe's for a pizza party with the sibs. That's not what I should be doing. I should continue packing (and kudos for me for starting already), but maybe I'll do a little bit of that before bed anyway. It's really a pain, but if I spend an hour a day (well, a half hour today) on it, maybe it won't be so daunting by the time I have a place to actually move to. Wish me luck.

Oh, and a shout out to Beernut for passing his belt test and for being named Student of the Month in his karate class.

1 comment:

  1. Yay -- I'm so glad you had a good time. You were the best part of the surprise...says PC!!! It would not have been the same without you :)

    And Beernut appreciates the shoutout!!!

    And it was a miscarriage of justice, wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete