Thursday, May 22, 2008

I finished Silas Marner and then read The Scarlet Pimpernel As you know, I liked Silas Marner, but I didn't really like The Scarlet Pimpernel, which is a little surprising because I liked the musical based on the book. The odd thing about that is that I don't remember anything about the musical except that I liked it. before reading the book, I couldn't have told you where it took place, what it was about, who the characters were (with one exception, of course) . . . nothing. But getting back to the book, it wasn't the story I didn't like, it was the way it was written. The story I mostly liked except that I thought the one major conceit was a little thin. I can't get into the details without giving away the central mystery of the book, so I won't go into details. But of course, I'm judging it from 20th century standards. (Yes, I know it's the 21st century, but I've done most of my reading and living and all of my "Introduction to Literary Criticism" in the 20th century, so I stand by what I've said.) Jock has a book in his bathroom that was given to him by his friend Heather; it's called Passing Time in the Loo. It's a brilliant book and I recommend it. One section of the book consists of one page summaries of famous literature you should know and on the page on "The Fall of the House of Usher," it reminds the reader that you have to look at Poe not with the eyes of someone who's seen so many scary movies that parodies of scare movies are hysterical, but from the point of view of someone who had never heard of a dark and stormy night. Except they said it better than I did.

In other news, I think I might go to Coney Island this weekend. I've only been twice before and this is scheduled to be it's last summer open. I still don't think I'll go on the Cyclone roller coaster. I like roller coasters, but that one is really rickety. The probability that the one time I ride it is the one time that it flies off the tracks is pretty low, I know, but I don't know if I'm willing to take the chance.

I'm still trying to sell the couch that doesn't fit through the door of my new apartment (How long before I stop calling it my new apartment? Anyone's guess.). It's in storage for now. Hopefully I can sell it before the bill for the next month comes due. If not though, that's it. One more month and then I'm taking the tax deduction by giving it to HousingWorks(fighting the twin crises of HIV/AIDS and homelessness) or Furnish-A-Future (for people just getting out of being homeless). God, I love that couch. It would make anyone a proud sofa owner.

You know, I probably won't get around to it, but I think it would be a good idea to learn a little more XHTML for the blog. All I have are words and a horizontal line here and there.


See.


I should embed pictures or something. But I guess first thing's first and the first thing is to get my posting rate up to at least once a week. Then I need to start drumming up some business. Well, readers, anyway, it's not quite a business, is it? Ach. I really feel like the quality of my posts have gone down hill and I feel so self conscious writing them. Oh well. Maybe I'll get over it.

3 comments:

  1. I had just posted a comment, but then realized that I had not yet registered to do so...so I registered. I suspect that original comment got lost in cyberspace. So, I will attempt to more-or-less reproduce it here: I am so glad that you have returned to regular blogging. I thought that this entry was completely satisfying. You moved from literary criticism to a discussion of your beloved sofa rather seemlessly (I especially liked your statement that this piece of furniture would make any sofa owner proud!). I can't believe that Coney Island is about to begin its final season. That is downright un-American! And...stay off the Cyclone. I believe that the probability of the car flying off into space while you, dear blogger, are riding it is higher than you estimated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be a customer (as in "drumming up business").

    Nice blog.

    If you want more business try jrants, havel havelim, and commenting on other blogs.
    Thanks for visiting me and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay - DadGiraffe posted on my site! And someone I don't know posted a comment. Thanks Rabbi F.

    ReplyDelete