Monday, May 12, 2008

You Should Be A Comic

A circular ramble.

I'll be in a crowd of people or just one-to-one and something will come up - a topic, a street sign, a something. I will think, "Thought," related to said something. Now to me, that "Thought" is something really mundane, the thing that everyone is thinking. When I say the thought out loud, though, it turns out that no one was thinking it and aren't I hysterically funny for thinking of it myself. Sometimes, of course, everyone was thinking it. My problem (though I'm using the term loosely), is that I usually can't tell how people are going to react ahead of time. Most of the time, I'm trying to be funny, but some of the time I really am astonished that people don't see the world the way I do.

However. If you were to ask me if I see the world differently than other people (or is that from other people? - grammar police, please help), I would not hesitate to say yes. You know, Jock once compared me to Phoebe, on Friends and, as upset as I got, I still had to admit that he had a point. My brain walks along a happy ways, thinking three thoughts at a time (at least), and they intersect at unexpected points. In addition, I think it's possible that my brain works on Chaos Theory. The Chaos Theory is that one act in one place can have dramatic impact half a world away. The classic example is the "Butterfly Effect*," where a butterfly can flap it's wings in China and create a hurricane in Florida. I longer technical term is "sensitive dependence on initial conditions." So part of my brain is talking to a friend and another part of my brain is looking around the room and sees a library book on the shelf, and it's actually an accomplishment for me not to blurt out - apropos of seemingly nothing - that I have a library book overdue at our fabulous New York Public Library (of which I'm not supposed to be a member because I don't live in Manhattan or Brooklyn).

Actually, that example doesn't prove either of my points, but it does make a nice third point so I think I'll leave it in. I can't think of any good examples for the other two points. I'm sure they'll come to me at some point, at which time, I will probably share them out loud with whomever I am talked to at the time.

Well, lunch is up and I am out of time. In actual news, I had the last of my PT sessions last week. My shoulder isn't all better, but it is good enough that I can finish the work on my own. As to whether I will or not is another issue.

*The movie "Butterfly Effect," with Ashton Kutcher wasn't that great, but I enjoyed it a lot and I think it gives a great basic idea of how one action can effect a whole bunch of different actions.

1 comment:

  1. My sister's 9th-grade English teacher taught her class, "Different from, different from, different from from from! Now you'll never forget it." And, as my sister related to us that evening over dinner, the teacher said "different than" about thirty minutes later in that class period. Well, I never forgot it, at least.

    (don't know if this went through the first time, hopefully I'm not double-posting...)

    ReplyDelete