Thursday, July 17, 2008

Busy in the City

I had a busy fun-filled week last week. There are lot of things to do in New York City during the summer. There are a ton of places that have free outdoor movies. I went to the one in Astoria Park with my friend Sunny last Monday. We saw "The Man Who Came to Dinner." It was silly, but very old-school Hollywood. And, of course, it's always nice to see Bette Davis in action. She really is something else.

I also went to a Yankees game last week. I'm not much of a sports fan and I certainly don't consider myself a Yankees fan, but the whole office goes once a year as kind of a team-building exercise. And since this is the last year in the current Yankee Stadium, there was something rather historic about it as well. They're building a new stadium right across the street from the old one. For some reason, I always thought that was kind of metaphorical, meaning it was near the old one, but no, it is literally right across the street.

I also did a very little volunteering. It was just bagging groceries for a food pantry and sorting clothing for I guess a clothes pantry. I keep meaning to volunteer more, and this was something very easy. I kind of wimped out, though, because I didn't ask how long these bags of groceries were supposed to last. I was afraid they were going to say all week and there wasn't enough food for every a family of three for four days. I can't remember what all we put in there. It was a quart of milk (until we ran out of that, and then we switched to juice), a can of kidney beans, a can of mandarin orange slices, a can of sliced carrots, a can of salmon, a giant can of pork (until we ran out and switched to chicken soup) and a can of French cut green beans. I think that's it. It made me sad.

I tried to give blood on Thursday but again my iron was too low. For some reason, I really wanted to give this time. Probably because it would have justified my not having plans for Thursday evening. I could say, "I would have done something, but I was too weak from giving blood." The way it turned out, I had to say, "I would have done something, but I didn't bother seeing what was out there." Oh well.

Over the weekend, my friend Grace had a birthday party. It was actually her second party. Her first party was the week before, but so many people were out of town for the fourth, that she threw another one. We started out at Ava Lounge, then moved to Rudy's and then moved to somewhere I've been before, but I can't remember the name. Somewhere near the theater district. When she announced we were going to Rudy's I asked if it was somehow better than we we currently were and she said it was a dive bar (with free hot dogs!). That was actually good news because the drinks in the Ava lounge were ridiculously priced. $17 for a drink! I want to be against that in general principle, but you can't really argue with the free market. Still, it's not a place I would have picked. But a good time was had by all, and that's the key thing.

Tonight I'm going to Astoria Park. Central Astoria's Waterfront Concert Series features the 1910 Fruitgum Company. Should be nice. I'll be teaching a friend of mine to play poker. It's not that I'm so good, but I'm hoping if I trap enough people into the game, I will find someone with a big enough apartment to host games, now that I'm out of Manhattan and Jack and Syl are in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment