Friday, August 01, 2008

Checking Things Off the List

I had a very successful day yesterday. I hired an accountant to do my taxes and they are now filed. I should be getting my refund and stimulus check very soon. Incidentally, accountants are a lot friendlier when they aren't under that April 15th deadline. They'll take all the time in the world to explain everything without the least bit of impatience. At least this one did. This is the first time in maybe ten years that I haven't done my own taxes. It was time. I know they can find more deductions than I can. In fact, I'd missed a huge $2,400 deduction, so I think it paid for itself.

I got a hair cut. I was scheduled to have one on August 8th, but I just couldn't wait any longer. It's shorter now, shoulder length. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. We'll see what I can do with a little product. If past performance is any indicator of future results, it won't be much, but I'll see what I can do.

I returned a library book and picked up two more.

I went clothes shopping and bought some much needed supplies.

I went to the synagogue to pay my dues, but by the time I got there, they were closed. They're mailing me something anyway, but I was in the area, so I thought I would just do it right then.

The day before yesterday, I signed up for Club Getaway, which is sort of like adult summer camp for singles. That should be a lot of fun. It was part of the reason for the clothes shopping. I need to also go clothes shopping in my closet. I don't have a list of all the activities that will be available (yet), but I have the feeling this is a change-your-clothes-three-times-a-day type of weekend. I really don't do that much.

This I don't like, though. When I called, I asked if they had transportation available up from the city. They said yes, they had one bus (and one bus only) and it was leaving at 5:30 p.m. from the Upper East Side. As a side note, it's a good thing I work on the UES. If I worked anywhere else in the city, there's no way I'd be able to get to the drop off point by 5:30 p.m. The only reason I can do it now is that it's a six minute walk from work.

I asked some various questions, but I pretty much knew that I was going to just do it, which I did. That's pretty rare. I don't normally spend money on vacations like that, but what with the tax stimulus coming, I figured it was my American duty to spend it as soon as possible. Anyway, I did say yes and he said he could take my reservation over the phone. We come to almost the end of the transaction and he tells me what the price is going to be and it's about fifty dollars more the website said it was going to be. I said, "Oh?" and he then informs me that the bus he'd told me about ten minutes ago cost $50 to use. Why didn't he tell me that when he said they had a bus? I mean, it wouldn't have really changed my answer or anything, but it felt like he was trying to put something past me. Since they advertise it as "90 minutes away by Getaway bus," I thought it was complimentary. After all, going there is kind of expensive. Well, I shouldn't have assumed that. Too bad for me. Still, he should have said something at the beginning of the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment