Sunday, August 03, 2008

Crudités

I love words. They have meaning and power and you can fashion them to do all sorts of things.

I don't love salad. Actually, the main part of the salad I don't like is the lettuce. If I could, I would order salad without lettuce. If I were to do that, though, I would be certain to get a "You are crazy" look from the waitress. This is one of those things that makes me . . . ah, let's say unusual. After all, who has salad without the lettuce?

Well, it turns out the French do. They have an appetizer called crudités which consists of cut raw vegetables.

I've actually known this for a long time. I first heard of crudités at a restaurant called The Pamplemousse in Las Vegas in 1996 or so. It was a revelation. I wasn't weird, I was just a little French.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes I LOVE this word. Isn't it a great word? And not hard to pronouce like some other French words :)

    BTW, I too dislike lettuce and have recently discovered that Spinach makes for a much better substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also try Israeli salad. It's just cucumbers, tomatoes, and green peppers (and sometimes onion)all finely chopped and dressed with salt and lemon. No lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DO like Israeli salad. I really only like spinach if it's in spanicopita. Yum.

    ReplyDelete