Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Bruce Museum and Primer.

I get overwhelmed by The Metropolitan Museum of Art. I like small museums, ones that you can see in an afternoon. I like museums with arcane topics. I think I would probably like something called The Button Museum, if it included a history of fasteners (even non-buttons) throughout time. I believe I can appreciate weird museums, if they are supposed to be weird. For example, I think I would enjoy The Kentucky Coal Mining Museum. It's a little strange, but it doesn't pretend to be something it's not.

I did not, on the other hand, like The Bruce Museum. It was weird. Unintentionally weird. It was partly dedicated geology in general (a lot of quartz - a lot), and the geology of Connecticut in particular. It had an exhibition of weather. And it had an exhibition of paintings from the collection of Jacques Goudstikker, a lot of which was from the 15th century or so. I can't remember exactly what I read, but Mr. Goudstikker fled Holland during WWII and left his paintings (he was an art dealer) behind. They were appropriated by the Dutch government, who were only recently forced to give the paintings back to Mr. Goudstikker's heirs. Those heirs live in CT, which as far as I can tell is the only connection to the museum. I liked the gift shop though. In fact, I finally found a birthday gift for Poppyseed, which I have been looking for for months. Since before her birthday in June.

I also saw the movie Primer. I have been wanting to see this movie for years. It was so confusing that I ended up hating it. I can't believe it did so well at Sundance. And I found the production value to be so poor as to be distracting. I don't mind being confused through most of a movie, but I don't want to be confused at the end. Like Memento. That was a very confusing movie, but at the end it had pretty much sorted itself out and I knew if I watched it one more time (especially immediately), I'd have it all figured out. With this movie, I don't know what happened. I know there was time travel involved (well it says that on the back of the box), but I can't say much more than that. It was so confusing, that I would actually have to watch it again to take notes to explain which parts I found confusing. And I don't want to give anything away. I will say that the acting was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment