Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Thursdays

I've had a run of really good Thursdays, which of course should have given me a great excuse to blog, but it didn't happen. Luckily, I don't claim to be reliable when it comes to blogging, at least not at this time.

Two Thursdays ago, the female half of my Favorite New York Couple had a birthday and we all went to Hill Country BBQ to celebrate it. I had beef ribs (well, one) for what I think might have been the first time in my entire life. It was delicious. It was fantastic. It was so good that the subsequent three times I had meat, it didn't taste like meat at all, but some non-food. To be fair, one of those times was Burger King, so that isn't really meat to begin with, but that doesn't explain the other two times.

The last time I tried to get into Hill Country, there was an hour and a half wait, so my friends and I bailed, so I'm glad I got the opportunity to go. This time we had a reservation. It's really neat. You buy the meat by the pound there, so I went up and said, 1/3 lb of brisket and then, on impulse, just got the beef rib. I didn't know how big it was going to be, though, and anyway it was too late to change the first part of my order. They'd already cut it and put it in butcher paper, which is how you take it to the table and eat it. (There are rolls of paper towels on every table.) I also made the mistake of getting the lean brisket, which was really dry. The Birthday Girl gave me a bite of the moist brisket though, and it was marbled through with fat. I should think that's disgusting, but it was unbelievably good. I would never order more than a slice of it though, for my own health. Well, actually, you have to through the whole concept of heart health out the window if you are going to go to this place. Still, maybe one slice is a happy compromise.

Last Thursday, Brian and I went out again. We went to a Turkish restaurant on the Upper West Side. (I had the chicken adana, he had the lamb kebab. We started out with artichoke hearts and ended with what looked like shredded wheat, but was similar to baklava. I prefer baklava, though.) The reason we went there is that we had heard of this bar called Dive 75 which had board games, which both of us like. Somehow, he had never played Connect Four before. We almost tied the first game, but I just squeaked out a win (there were only two empty spaces left on the whole board). The second game I just flat out won. After that we played Boggle, which seems to be Brian's favorite game. He killed me in the first game, killed me. How you score in Boggle, which is a word game, is that if you both write down the same word, neither of you get a point. You only get a point if you write down a word that the other person doesn't have. He beat me ten to one. It was embarrassing. So we played another round and this time I was determined. I beat him 27 to 16. He looked up at me, amazed, and said, "Only three people have ever beaten me in Boggle." I felt like a rock star. We played about ten more games of that. He won slightly over half. The rest of the games were a lot closer.

This Thursday, I am going to the San Gennero Festival in Little Italy. It claims to be "New York City’s oldest, biggest and most famous religious street festival." Mostly, I'm there for the food. I'm going with this friend of mine Helen. Helen is interesting. She used to be a concert violinist and she has more friends than anyone I've ever met who is not a professional gladhander. Every time she invites me out, she seems to be with a separate group of people. It's kind of fantastic. Always fun.

1 comment:

  1. Well, that is pretty impressive!! I always think it is great when people are able to acquire a new skill swiftly :0

    Still can't believe Brian had never played C4 before!!!

    ReplyDelete