Thursday, September 11, 2008

Today

I don't think of Pearl Harbor when December 7th comes around. If I were history buff, I probably would, but the only notice I take is if someone happens to mention it. I wonder how long it took for that to happen, how many years before the wound of December 7th was closed? After all, that was the day that was to live in infamy.

Now, of course, 9/11 is the day that lives in infamy. It will be remembered longer, I think, because it was named after the day. We don't call in Ground Zero Day or World Trade Center Day. This wound isn't healed. I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country. It gets less intense here every year. Do you know how long it was before September 11th wasn't mentioned anywhere in the New York Times for the first time? I don't know, but it definitely wasn't before 2005. I mean, somewhere, about the crash, about the widows, about people filing suits, about rebuilding, about fire fighters. I don't look for it anymore. Maybe iit still is mentioned every day. A seven year news story.

Meanwhile I'm morose. Also, how much is life allowed to get back to normal on today? Can I go out and do things? Like, to a bar? And not talk about it with anyone? There are no rules. But let's give a moment of thought to it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment