Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Debates

I was feeling like a bad American because I haven't been watching the debates. I hadn't even DVRed them and then "accidentally" erased them. So, in order to salve my conscience, I watched one. Well, I had it on in the background. You know, both presidential nominees sound a little like each other. Anyway, what a waste of air time. What I would have loved was for Tom Brokaw to break form and ask one of the following questions:
  • If you can't follow the simple rules of a debate that you set up, how can you possibly run an entire country?
  • Why would you set up rules to a debate that you know you aren't going to follow?
  • Do you really think that the American people are so stupid and distractible that you won't allow yourselves a full five minutes to answer a question?

I will say one thing that I liked. There was that incredibly stupid question about Russia being the evil empire (Yes or No) and I loved John McCain's answer to it. He said, "If I say yes, then that means that we're reigniting the old Cold War. If I say no, it ignores their behavior." To me, that was on the ball thinking and a real, unrehearsed answer. Although, did they get the questions in advance?

All in all, it was a bunch of squabbling. I could listed to any preteen siblings and get the same thing. It's just the topics that would be different. "Billy, did you break that lamp?" Answer: "I got an A on my spelling test. And also, Jimmy drew on the wall with crayon. And he said the 's' word." I mean, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment