Sunday, October 12, 2008

Yom Kippur in New York

I was back at Shaaray Tefila (which I still can't spell on my first try) for Yom Kippur. I have to say it was good to be home. First of all, when I got off the plane at La Guardia, I felt a rush of gratitude that I decided to make New York my home. It caught me unawares, because I hadn't been missing NYC. I'd had a fine time in Dallas and I got to hang out with my beloved family (or part of them, anyway) and hadn't thought, "Gee, I wish I were back in the city." So I don't know where it came from, but I gladly acknowledge it.

The other thing was that it was really nice to know people at synagogue. That was a big contrast to Texas, where I just knew the fam. I've been going to TST awhile now, and I finally have some "temple friends." And they were almost all there, except for Emily, who hasn't gotten around to joining yet. I also got my Cousin Georgia and her boyfriend Mike to join, so I was also with some other family. I don't know if I've mentioned my Cousin Georgia, or what I named her (I really ought to start writing these things down), so she might be new for you. Anyway, she and her brother (George) are from Atlanta. George is in business school at UCLA and Georgia is at Morgan Stanley in New York. So far, she still has a job, as has Mike, who also works in finance. Scary times on Wall Street. I can't bear to look most of the time, to be honest. Shadow banking. When is the shadow side of things ever a good idea? Except shadow boxing? Or shadow puppets?

I broke the fast with Mike's family. They're a riot and so nice to open their apartment to me. It was actually his mom's apartment and it was gorgeous! Two bedrooms, right in mid-town with a great view, two blocks from where I first lived when I moved to the city in '01. As one would expect at a Jewish gathering, there was more than enough food. I didn't eat any of the many fish options, but I did have knishes and kugel and bagels and a mini-muffin. I brought flowers and doughnuts.

What else to say? Being around Mike's family whetted my appetite for my trip to California next week, where I will be home for most of Sukkot. Best harvest holiday ever.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you were here for YK! I love seeing all of you guys hanging out together, forming your own community. How are we gonna get Emily to join? Chag Sameach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I'm working on it. Maybe next year. Though she seemed to enjoy the Chabad services.

    ReplyDelete