Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Movie Review: Seven Pounds

This movie is pretty bad. On Christmas, as is my wont, I went with The Lunch Club to the movies. The choices they had were slim pickings. Most people wanted to see "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," which I don't want to see for no reason whatsoever. Well, part of it is that the decrepit man-boy is just too weird for me, in spite of make up which will probably win an Oscar (and probably deservedly, too). "Gran Tourino" would have probably also been good, but until I saw the trailer in Seven Pounds, I thought it was about cars. Still, I'm not a huge Clint Eastwood fan. His face is pretty immobile.

Anyway, Seven Pounds. I like Will Smith and the acting in the movie is fine, there just isn't much of a movie. It's all very mysterious with this man that he plays is testing people to see what they are like for some supposedly undisclosed reason. I found, though, that it was pretty obvious where the movie was going the whole time. His reasons for choosing the people he chooses for what he chooses them for are almost completely spurious (when you get right down to it) and in the end, it's just kind of dumb. Here's this big mystery that's not really a mystery about this man maybe doing something. I think it's kind of supposed to be a mystery as to why he's doing it, but t hey show something early in the movie that clearly explains it. There is no reason for short flashbacks throughout the movie to say what you said.

It was slow. It was ponderous. I didn't like it.

If I had any inclination to think about the movie, which I don't, it could lead me to ruminate on big ideas, like to what extent can you help people and to what extent should you help people and at what point does helping become obsessive or selfish and do all blind people have really bad haircuts?

Tonight is New Year's Eve. I am definitely doing a game night in Astoria with some friends of mine. I might also go to a couple of after parties, but I've been sick for a week, so it really depends on how I feel. Have a great one and I will see you in 2009.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you! Did you read A. O. Scott's review of this movie? It was one of the funniest things I have ever read in the NY Times. Also made me NEVER want to see it :)

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you were not feeling well- we missed services for several weeks for various reasons (mostly due to being out of town) - we were there this past Friday, but did not see you. We will be away this coming Friday (going to Florida this weekend to avoid the cold), but look forward to seeing you soon.
    Your "temple friends" (if we may be so presumptuous)- M and B

    ReplyDelete