Friday, March 06, 2009

Not As Old School as I Pretend

This afternoon, after lunch, I tried to send an email to my boss, but it didn't go through. Was the email attachment too big? I tried a test email just too myself with no attachment, but that didn't go through either. Okay, it wasn't the end of the world. I could just print out the document I was trying to send to him, walk down to his office, and give it to him. Except that the computer wouldn't let me print.

With a sinking feeling, I tried the internet. That was down, too.

As it happened, I had a few things to do that weren't connected to being networked to anyone or anything.

My cube mate, Jessica, asked if I could imagine ever working in an industry without access to a computer. Sure, I said. Like sales? She said, "Yeah. I would go crazy if I weren't connected all the time."

"I think I'd be fine," I said. "Though I have to admit, these last fifteen minutes have been torture."

Good news, is that everything was back on line within the hour.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I totally understand what you are saying. The few times that the synagogue's computers have gone down, I have sat that, dumbfounded, unable to figure out what to do with myself. I mean, where am I even supposed to look? Do I just sit in the middle of the room?

    glad that all is back to normal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a work-from-home freelance translator, not being able to connect to the Internet means out-of-work. So I understand that you felt like being tortured while you were out of connection! I'm glad you're back online now. :)

    ReplyDelete