Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Happy Late Fourth of July

Happy Independence Day to everyone.

My office is finally past the end of the fiscal year, so I will be substantially less busy.

One of the reasons I haven't been posting all that much is because it takes so long to write these posts, so I am going to try something different. If I don't have an hour to write up a "real" post, I'll just do a short post. Something is better than nothing, right?

Anyway, I spent the holiday weekend in a suburb of Boston, with my friends Larry and Carol (and their two children). They had a baby just three months ago, so this was the first time I was meeting him. He was cute, if a little short on the conversational skills. He's great at picking up his head, though.

The local fireworks were postponed on account of threatening rain, but I did get to see two hometown parades, one of which consisted of neighborhood kids getting dressed up in red, white, and blue marching up the street.

I also learned that the Salem witch trials took place not in Salem, but in Salem Village, which is now Danvers. I visited The Salem Village Witchcraft Victims' Memorial
at Danvers
, which was really moving. Part of the memorial included quotes from the accused and they reminded me of nothing more than the Spanish Inquisition.

Of course, it's especially timely to think of these things because of the current debates we are having about torture. What wouldn't you admit to on the rack? I would probably admit to the fact that I was the lone shooter that assassinated Kennedy if faced asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment