Monday, December 28, 2009

There is Nothing Like a Dame

Actually, there is nothing like handwritten cards, but that doesn't make such a great title.

Last week, I wrote my holiday cards. Or, to be more accurate, I wrote my holiday card. One day I may get around to actually sending annual cards to everyone again, but it doesn't look likely. In the meantime, the one person I do exchange cards with lives abroad and we never talk on the phone.  I thought that we had been keeping up pretty well via the computer, but I realized when I sat down to write to her, that I had scads to tell her, everything that had been happening, things I was thinking, and just . . . stuff.

It seems to me that the use of email and social networking tools are actually causing my writing muscles to become atrophied. One of my writing teachers in college told me that writing on the computer actually uses a different part of the brain than writing on paper. I don't know if it's true, but it doesn't surprise me in the least.

All this is to say that if you don't live in Japan, don't expect a card from me. Nonetheless, I wish you all a happy year.

No comments:

Post a Comment