Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Funeral was Thursday

My Grandmother died last week. I don't know what to tell you.

Here is the number one thing that people said to me:  It's so nice to see you, though not under these circumstances.

That's good.

Here is the number two thing that people said to me: How are you doing?  Luckily, Rabbi G, a very good friend of the family, told me how to respond. He said to say, "As well as can be expected, under the circumstances."

I was looking through photos from my Bat Mitzvah while I was there and it was amazing to me how many people who were at my Bat Mitzvah were also at the funeral.

The whole family was together, which was great.

I am so happy that my grandparents arranged that cruise last summer.

I'll probably talk, more later; I might even be profound. I feel very close to all my family right now.

2 comments:

  1. The second one is tough. On the one hand, it's kind of a stupid thing to ask a mourner. "How are you?" "oh, just great, thanks for asking. And you." (Note the sarcasm here.) On the other hand, it's a natural question to ask someone we care about and it often comes out without thinking about it when there's little else to say. Anyway, I'm thinking about you and sorry I'm so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you're so far away, too, but I'm happy that I feel like I can call you any time and you will be there for me.

    ReplyDelete