Monday, May 03, 2010

I Can Be Such a Sucker

One day last week after work, I set aside a chunk of time to take care of some financial chores. Things I needed to do:
  • cancel my Blockbuster.com monthly video membership
  • find out why there was an upgrade charge on my Sprint bill
  • try to get a better cable deal or, if I couldn't, cancel cable
Those who know me may find the above list shocking. Well, not the whole list, just the last one.

Cable is really expensive and I don't technically need it. Granted, I have the triple play package, so I get cable, tv and internet, but I wanted to see if I could do better.

Blockbuster I did entirely online. No problem. I called Sprint and all I did was ask what the charge was for and they credited it. (So my question is were they being very nice or was it a spurious charge?) Also no problem. Also, I liked that the person helping me noticed and thanked me for being a Sprint customer for almost ten years. Next, I called Time Warner Cable.

There was a lot of back and forth, but the end result is that I still have cable. I now pay $2 less, which is negligible, but I have a free year of Showtime! Because what was missing from my life was more television. Although I admit that I'm very excited to see how the last season of Dexter ended up.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so $2 is negligible, but don't you feel a sense of accomplishment? I mean, think how many more boxes of candy...er...ears of corn you can buy now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO feel a sense of accomplishment. I actually DID something. Granted, it wasn't exactly what I set out to do, but at least I can cross it off my list.

    I will now and in the future try and substitute the phrase "ears of corn" for any bad for me food I might think about having. Though I do love ears of corn, too.

    ReplyDelete