Wednesday, June 02, 2010

The Absent-Minded Professor

The head of our department (Jeff) is not actually a professor, but he also isn't stupid, so I'm using the above-referenced allusion to explain what happened this morning.

I was trying to use our corporate American Express card over the phone. When the salesman asked for the expiration date of the card, as per the norm, I saw that the card expired last week.  So I called up Jeff and asked if he had the new card. He said, "No. I've been getting emails about the card expiring, but I didn't know what to do with them, so I ignored them."


I replied, "Okay. Forward the email and I'll take care of it." I get the email. It's from last week and it is a forward of an original email sent three weeks ago.  It has one line: "Your corporate card expired May 31. Kindly take a moment to read and return the attached form to my attention."

Really, what could be more simple than that. But the truth is that we've lost 1/3 of our office in the past year and everyone is doing more with less, so I have to imagine that what Jeff meant to say was, "No. I've been getting emails about the card expiring, but I never got around to reading them."

No comments:

Post a Comment