Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Edward Stone

I was talking to Grandpa Bear (aka Mr. Grand of The Grands) last night and he pointed out that this whole gallbladder situation would seem a lot friendlier if I named my gallstones. Although I have scores of stones, there is a doozy three centimeter wide (over an inch for you non-metricals out there). His name is Edward Stone. Ed is being evicted on August 24th.

Anyway, as promised, here is the "Foods to AVOID" list that I got from my doctor last week. (There is a Foods ALLOWED portion too, some of which I will mention in conjunctive with this ridiculously restrictive list.

Foods to AVOID
  • raw fruits, dates and figs (fruit juice okay)
  • dry ready-cooked cereals including puffed rice, shredded wheat, corn flakes, etc. (strained oatmeal okay)
  • cream soup, meat stock, chicken soup
  • asparagus, brussel sprouts, cabbage, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, dried beans or peas, turnips, onions, bell peppers, cucumbers, radishes, sauerkraut, fried potatoes (cooked spinach okay)
  • mutton, pork, fried meat, fatty meat, canned meat, canned fish, shellfish (one portion of lean, broiled, baked or boiled beef, lamb, veal, chicken, turkey or fish okay)
  • cheese (fat free cottage cheese okay)
  • eggs, eggnog
  • cream, malteds, whole milk, butter, margarine
  • Fresh breads, rolls, muffins, biscuits (day-old bread or toasted bread okay)
  • alcohol, carbonated beverages
  • pies, cakes, pastries, cookies, ice cream, candy, chocolate (rice pudding okay)
  • olives, pickles, smoked foods
  • spices, salt, pepper
  • nuts

So you tell me this: How can I possibly get through the next two weeks without mutton?

4 comments:

  1. At least you can still have rice pudding and strained oatmeal! What is strained oatmeal? I wonder why lamb and not mutton?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO GLAD you picked mutton out of that list. As I was reading it, I said to myself, "No mutton? Egads!"

    So...lots of water, sweet potatoes (baked, not fried), quinoa maybe? Tomatoes! Tomatoes are not on your list. Tomato soup, sweet potato "fries" with ketchup, roasted tomatoes with cooked (sauteed) spinach. And day-old bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a spinach potato knish today. It looked disgusting, like I was eating a darker version of that green styrofoam that florists use to hold flowers in place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No candy, fried meat, or carbonated beverages? These are the three main food groups in the Einstein Family Eating Pyramid!!

    ReplyDelete