Thursday, August 05, 2010

The Unmitigated Gall

This is not an obscene paint-by-numbers image.

You might remember me mentioning last month that I had to go to the ER to deal with a gall bladder problem. I had an attack after what is probably the last corned beef sandwich I will eat. Luckily, we were at Junior's, so it was a good one.

A few weeks later, I was visiting Bette and Ace (wedding in late October, btw) and we went to a Mexican restaurant. Actually, it was Tex-Mex, but apparently, that falls under the same heading. The service wasn't great. We ordered and it took a long time for our food to come. In the meantime, though, the waiter kept coming back with more tortilla chips. They were really, really good. And I probably could have had three or four of them without a problem. Actually, I did have three or four of them, but then I started over and had another three or four. And another. And possibly more.

That night, I woke up in five in the morning in intense pain. It was close to unbearable. The good news (in my mind) is that it felt exactly like the pain that took me to the ER, so I guessed (correctly as it turned out) that the course of the pain would be the same. In this case, the ER forgot to give me my medicine until four hours after I was supposed to get it and the pain had already started to subside. I waited it out.

Making a long story medium length, today I am going for a second opinion to see if I need to have surgery. At first I was incredibly opposed because I don't feel that bad. Everyone has been telling me it's not big deal (except the acupuncturist) because you can live without a gall bladder. It's still and internal organ, though. I mean, you can live without a left hand, too, but you wouldn't want to.

It occurred to me on Tuesday that it could be that a lot of other minor inconveniences I've been experiencing (tiredness, aches, pains) could be related to the gall bladder. (Above, in green, labeled #2.) Also, I've been feeling progressively more nauseous and as good as that might be for losing weight, it's kind of a drag. I mean, I can't eat chocolate anymore. The sight of it makes me queasy. No candy bars. No chocolate milk. One or two chocolate chip cookies seems to be okay as long as I don't think about what I'm doing.

NO!
NO!















Okay. [© BrokenSphere / Wikimedia Commons]

2 comments:

  1. Though I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well, I must offer kudos on the best blog post title I think I've ever seen. Hope you are doing well apart from the gallbladder issues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annabel. Not too shabby, otherwise, though it's taking up quite a lot of my mental energy.

    ReplyDelete