Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Loser. Winner! Loser. Winner!

This past Monday was my company's annual blood drive. It's much earlier than it has been in the past, which is great because it means that I can start trying to donate on Thanksgiving with the Vermonsters again. Unfortunately, when the NYBC nurse tested the blood that she got out of the first finger of my right hand by piercing my skin with a needle contraption, the hemoglobin level was too low. She then guilted me into trying the other finger. That was a bit ridiculous, because it was so low that there was no way other blood in my body was in the acceptable range for donation and in the end, I should have stuck to my guns because all it does is waste their needle contraptions. 

End result: NO lives saved. Four Oreos eaten. 

from Ventnor Blog
from CollegeCandy
 
Last night, I went to a bar called Sweet Afton to meet some Astorians I had never met before through Meetup.com. It was a lot of fun. I really like Meetup. As a general rule, you aren't the only person who doesn't know anyone there, so it's all good. They are famous for their Mac & Cheese, but I had the grilled cheese with carmelized onions instead, because the M&C was much too cheesy.  It was a win of a night. In addition, it started early enough that I got to my laundromat before it closed and picked up my laundry. 

from local718queens

Today, I went to give a very small amount of blood to a researcher who is researching something or other. They actually called me to request that I come in because I had given up some of the red stuff for a different researcher at their institution earlier this year. They made the mistake of not asking me any of the screening questions until I got there though, and since the thing that they are researching has to do with inflammation, and I was there as a healthy volunteer, the medication I take to manage my Crohn's disqualified me. No $20 for me. Although it amused me greatly to find out that if a minor was participating in this study (with parental permission of course), s/he didn't get $20. S/he got a $20 gift card to Toys R Us.

Right before my surgery,  I won a $50 gift certificate from ScoutMob.com last month to go to Hill Country BBQ. 

In short, you win some, you lose some.

No comments:

Post a Comment