Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Saturday; Gallery

This weekend, I visited the Steven Kasher Gallery. Although the two main exhibits are on WEEGEE and Vivian Maier, they also have a selection from Accra Shepp's Occupy Wall Street: A visual diary.

Shepp had taken a photo portrait of Rick (I've named my boyfriend Rick) and we wanted to see if his picture was at the gallery. He wasn't. However, it's been a long time since I've been to a gallery, so I will say it was time well spent, though I didn't love anything I saw there. (Except the person I was with, but I brought him with me, so that doesn't really count.) What I did find somewhat interesting, though, was the story of Vivian Maier.

Vivian Maier took thousands of photos in her life and never showed any of them to anyone. She didn't even print most of them. Then, after she died, she was accidentally discovered by some fellow who came across her negatives at a local thrift auction house. Some people are comparing this to Emily Dickinson and some to artists who are not appreciated during their own lifetimes. I disagree with both ideas. If anything, she seems like someone who just couldn't stop snapping pictures and didn't necessarily care about the outcome.

2 comments:

  1. That is a lot of pictures. If she didn't even print most of them, I wonder what was motivating her to take them in the first place. Was that addressed in the exhibit??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing was addressed in the exhibit. I only knew anything about her because Rick was running so late that I went to go get lunch and while I was eating a burger around the corner, I looked her up online.

    ReplyDelete