Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dear Mr. Deputy Mayor

A couple of months ago, I wrote the following letter to New York's deputy mayor. I still haven't heard back, but that doesn't mean I won't. Of course, I don't know if I wrote to the right person because it looks like no one is actually in charge of this, which is sort of the point. Maybe I should kick it on up to state.


February 23, 2012


Caswell Holloway
Deputy Mayor for Operations
City Hall
New York, NY 10007

Dear Mr. Holloway,

Last summer, when Hurricane Irene was imminent, I was dismayed to find out that there was no evacuation plan for Riker’s Island. Although I wrote to the Mayor at that time, I know that it was probably too late to do anything by then. 

Now that some time has passed, I am wondering if a large-scale evacuation plan has been put together for the prison population at Riker’s. One of the most horrifying stories to come out of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina was of prisoners left to die in their locked cells. I urge you to make sure that nothing of this sort could ever happen here.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
PepGiraffe's Real Name
PepGiraffe's Address 



1 comment:

  1. I'm very curious to know if/when you get a response.

    ReplyDelete