Thursday, September 13, 2012

This Post is Not Primarily About the Elections

But it is worth noting that today are the primaries and I had no idea. I felt like a prize idiot until I looked up my district and saw that there are no elections going on to actually vote on. Now, I just feel moderately uninformed. It's hard, though, not to tune out everything election related. It has been going on for such a long time that I am politically weary.

My computer at work has been running so ridiculously slowly that I actually put in an order for a new computer. I am loathe to do that because I don't want to lose anything when the information transfers from my current computer to the next, IT being what it is. Also, I am not hardware savvy, so it took me over an hour to figure out what options on the Mac Mini I wanted. There are only four choices or so, but I had to determine if I was going to notice a difference in speed, if I should get extra RAM now, etc. I am glad I spent the time doing it, because it would not have occurred to me that Mac would make a computer with no disk drive. Silly me. Not to worry, I got the super drive attachment. It was very inexpensive considering that I find it indispensable. If you ever have to do research on Mac machines, I recommend MacWorld.com. They are very thorough.

We are gearing up for the Nobels again. I don't think that anyone in my institution will win, but you don't want to be unprepared. At least, we don't want to be unprepared. Better safe than sorry.


2 comments:

  1. My little brother writes for Macworld! I'm glad you liked their site. If you are worried about losing stuff when you transfer from the old computer to the new computer, you can look into some backup options. I take it your work doesn't back up your servers daily? (If they do, move everything off your local machine (your desktop and other folders that are only on your computer) and move it to the network drive that gets backed up. Problem solved. Otherwise, you can buy a thumb drive (aka flash drive, USB drive, etc) for cheap that can hold a lot of your data. You can also use Dropbox.com which offers 2GB of free space; then you're backed up to "the cloud" and can access your data from anywhere. I am happy to give more info if you want (and I can send you a referral link for Dropbox which gets us both an extra bit of space, I think).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marnie. Work backs up my server and, in fact, using Retrospect client, backs up my computer. But it would be a huge hassle and maybe the real problem is I dislike change, even the idea of changing computers. Silly, now that I think about it.

    I, too, highly recommend DropBox. I've been using it for my non-work life, but I don't know what professional responsibility I would have if it somehow got hacked. I don't work with highly sensitive data, but I can't imaging our legal department would be very happy. It took them almost three months to hammer out the copier lease our department has with Canon. A lot of that was Canon's fault because their point person was slow, but they are exacting.

    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete